Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Martin Luther Wisdom

"But we must reckon according to the heart, that it must not be much concerned whether it has anything or nothing, much or little, and always to treat what it has as though one did not have it, and had to be ready at any time to lose it, keeping the heart fixed upon the kingdom of heaven." -from Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount

Today as I was driving to the gym, I was sitting at a light where a homeless lady was standing on the corner. I had just gone to the grocery store, but it wasn't my first instinct to give her food. Everything I had bought I was really excited to eat and I honestly didn't feel like giving it up. But after I few seconds I decided to give her my box of cereal. You know what's funny? I bought the cereal by the grace of my parents, money that they allocate toward my "necessities." And my parents have their money by God's grace. So, I had NO RIGHT to be selfish with my food, because every material thing I "have" is given to me by God. Lo and behold after I left the gym, I started reading Luther for my class tomorrow, not knowing what it was about in the least bit. Well, it definitely hit home. I hope that Luther's words move from my head to my heart. I hope that next time, I will give the homeless lady all of my food, because it's not really mine to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment