Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

ze weekend


This past Friday thru Sunday I went on a senior retreat with the Intercultural Studies department to Visialia. The weekend included:
-Our amazingly hospitable hosts: Melba and Cindy (they are mother-daughter and live right next door to each other…so cute!)
-Homemade food, every meal, including BISCUITS & GRAVY and the best bacon I’ve ever tasted (I don’t even really like bacon)
-Swimming and sitting in the hot tub
-Watching DMac get pushed into the pool in his clothes
-Dr. Greene falling asleep on the living room floor
-SO much laughter
-April Fools jokes
-Doing no homework
-Church
-Rooming with Angela J
-Five Guys burgers and fries and Thrifty ice cream on the ride up
-My 3 favorite ICS professors: Dr. Greene, DMac and Terri
-Riding up with Michelle, Justine, Sophie and Angela
-Getting a flat tire on the way back (thank the LORD it was while we were still in Visalia)
-The two nice guys that helped us change the flat

but more importantly…
-mapping/discussing our past to point toward our futures
-journaling/reading the Bible
-making a vision, mission, and choosing core values on which to base my future
-encouraging each other

As I reflected on my life so far this weekend I was reminded of how Spanish makes my heart come alive. Speaking it, hearing it, whatever. I know God has given me the passion and talent for Spanish for a reason. Eventually, I want to go back to school for either TESOL or Spanish-English/English-Spanish Translation, but I feel like God wants me at home for the time being. I have struggled with that a bit because I don’t think I can initially get the job I want (teaching English, for example), but I don’t want to waste any time doing a job I have absolutely no interest in, even if it does pay well. One idea I have had for a while is to work at an authentic Mexican restaurant (there are tons near my house). But, I have wondered if it’s a bad idea because:

-Did I really just endure 4 years of school to be a waitress?
-People will probably question me/think I’m being lazy/not fulfilling my potential
-I won’t be making the most money
-Would an authentic Mexican restaurant even want to hire me?! I’m not Mexican!!

This weekend I was reminded of all the reasons it is a good idea:

-I want my Spanish to get better for my future
-I could make connections/start tutoring Spanish-speakers in English on the side
-I don’t want a 9 to 5 job anyway, much less one at a desk
-Whenever I think about this idea, my soul feels alive

I am thankful that God holds my future and excited to see what He has planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment